Smoothy Blast Off - Kale, Spinach, Fruit, and Pre-Workout
When your on a high protein and low carb diet, digestion can cause a bit of a "rough" time - pun intended. It is super important to get your daily dose of fruits and vegetables to help push things a long. If you're like me, then getting these essential food groups is a bit of a struggle.
Starting my day off with this "Smoothy Berry Blast" helps me to feel light and energetic throughout the day.
- 1 generous handful of baby kale and baby spinach (1-1.5 cups)
- 3-5 baby carrots
- 1 cup of Festival Blend - Mango, Papaya, Strawberries, Pineapple
- .5 cup of mixed frozen berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- 1 scoop of PreSeries BULK (or lean) Pre-Workout
- .5-1 cup water depending on desired consistency
- 2-5 ice cubes depending on desired consistency and temperature
Make sure to put the lighter ingredients on the bottom and the heavier on top. This will make mixing a lot easier. Blend on high until desired consistency is reached.
If it doesn't taste good, try reducing the amount of kale. Kale tends to be the strongest flavor in the mix and is hard to mask.
The pre-workout should add a pleasant sour tingle to the mix.
We highly recommend Costco. Costco has very high quality foods at low prices due to bulk purchasing. If you are single or a small family, buying in bulk is not always desirable. However, for frozen goods (frozen fruit, chicken, steak, etc), there's no concern of foods perishing.
For the kale and carrots, small families (mine included) often can not consume Costco sized bags in time, so I source those at local grocery stores.
There are 3 good options for blenders that will get the job done.
- KitchenAid® 5-Speed Classic Blender (only $99 from Amazon.com)
- Blendtech Total Blender ($349.99 on Amazon.com)
- Vitamix ($495 on Amazon.com)
Lastly, get your jug of PreSeries Bulk here for a delicious hint of sour flavoring.